American astrophysicist and Planetary Scientist.
Neil deGrasse Tyson(born October 5, 1958, is an American Astronomer known for the Stephen Hawking medal for Science communication in 2017. Born in manhattan he had his education at Bronx High school of science and later went on to study BA in Physics at Harvard and Ph.D. in Astrophysics at Colombia. His father Cyril deGrasse Tyson, was a sociologist, human resource commissioner for New York City mayor John Lindsay, and the first Director of Harlem Youth Opportunities Unlimited.
In 2001, U.S. President George W. Bush appointed Tyson to serve on the Commission on the Future of the United States Aerospace Industry and in 2004 to serve on the President’s Commission on Implementation of United States Space Exploration Policy, the latter better known as the “Moon, Mars, and Beyond” commission
- Postdoctoral research associate at Princeton University. (1991-1994)
- Doctorate, Astrophysics, Columbia University, New York City (May 1991).
- Master of Philosophy, Astrophysics, Columbia University, New York City (May 1989).
- Master of Arts, Astronomy, University of Texas, Austin, Texas (May 1983).
- Bachelor of Arts, Physics, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts (June 1980).
- High school studies: Astrophysics Emphasis, The Bronx High School of Science, Bronx, New York (June 1976).
Research and books
His research includes cosmology, Stellar evolution, galactic astronomy, bulges and stellar formation. He has written numerous books like Merlin’s Tour of the Universe , Universe Down to Earth, Just Visiting This Planet, One Universe: At Home in the Cosmos, City of Stars: A New Yorker’s Guide to the Cosmos, Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution, Letters from an Astrophysicist etc.
- Lecturer, Department of Astronomy, University of Maryland (Jan 1987- Dec 1987).
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Astrophysics, Princeton University ( July 1991 – June 1994).
- Staff Scientist, American Museum – Hayden Planetarium (July 1994 – May 1995).
- Acting Director, American Museum – Hayden Planetarium (June 1995 – April 1996).
- Founder and Chair, Department of Astrophysics, American Museum of Natural History (December 1997 – June 1999).
- Project Scientist, $210 Million Reconstruction, Hayden Planetarium, Rose Center for Earth and Space (January 1997 – February 2000).
- Visiting Research Scientist and Lecturer, Department of Astrophysical Sciences, Princeton University (July 1994 – June 2003).
He joined Twitter on February 2009. His other media appearances include YouTube. Here are some of the YouTube videos he featured in.
He also has his own podcast on YouTube with a description “Science meets pop culture on StarTalk! Astrophysicist & Hayden Planetarium director Neil deGrasse Tyson, his comic co-hosts, guest celebrities & scientists discuss astronomy, physics, and everything else about life in the universe. Keep Looking Up!” – StarTalk YouTube Podcasts.
|The Last Sharknado: It’s About Time, Cameo: “Merlin”, Sy Fy Channel, July 25, 2018.|
|Future ’38, Cameo: Himself, Indie Film, December 1, 2017.|
|Ice Age 5: Collision Course, Animated Cameo: “Neil deBuck Weasel”, 20th Century Fox, July 22, 2016.|
|Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Cameo: Himself, Warner Brothers Pictures, March 25, 2016.|
|Zoolander 2, Cameo: Himself, Paramount, February 12, 2016.|
|The Quiet Earth, Audio Comment Track for DVD/BluRay Extras, Indie Film, October 18, 1986.|
|The Big Bang Theory – “The Conjugal Configuration”, Cameo: Playing himself, CBS|
September 24, 2018.
|The Simpsons – “Springfield of Dreams: The Legend of Homer Simpson”, Cameo: Playing himself, FOX, October 22, 2017.|
|The Simpsons – “The Caper Chase”, Animated Cameo: Playing himself, FOX, April 2, 2017.|
|Regular Show – “Terror Tales of the Park VI”, Animated Cameo: Playing himself, Comedy Central, October 27, 2016.|
|Future Worm – “Long Live Captain Cakerz! / Terrible Tuber Trouble / Healin’ Touch with Dr. D”, Animated Cameo: Playing himself, Disney XD Channel, August 1, 2016.|
|Bojack Horseman – “That’s Too Much Man!”, Animated Cameo: Playing himself, Netflix, July 22, 2016.|
|100 Things To Do Before High School – “Meet Your Idol Thing!”, Cameo: Playing himself, Nickelodeon, February 6, 2016.|
|Family Guy – “Scammed Yankees”, Animated Cameo: Playing himself, FOX, January 17, 2016.|
|Family Guy – “The Big Bang Theory”, Science Advisor end-card, FOX, May 8, 2011.|
|The Big Bang Theory – “The Apology Insufficiency”, Cameo: Playing himself, CBS, CBS.|
|StarGate Atlantis – “Brain Storm”, Cameo: Playing himself (appearing with Bill Nye), Sci-Fi Channel, November 21, 2008.|
Neil deGrasse Tyson is an advocate for expanding the operations of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. He has been honored with various awards. Some of them are listed below.
|1. Stephen Hawking Medal for Outstanding Communication|
|2. Hubbard Medal for Distinction in Exploration, Discovery, and Research|
|3. NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal|
|4. Klopsteg Memorial Award winner|
|5. Isaac Asimov Award from the American Humanist Association|
|6. Cosmos Award, Planetary Society|
|7. Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album nomination for Astrophysics for People in a Hurry|
Neil deGrasse Tyson has been an inspirational figure for Space enthusiasts and here are some of his quotes that might inspire you.